My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Attempts at being a better person

Most people who know me know that I'm a Christian. Most people who know me pretty well, know that I'm not that good of one. I love a nice glass of wine and hardly ever pass it up when it's offered. And terrible Anglo Saxon curses have been known to escape my lips. I laugh at unseemly off-color jokes. I've even told a risque tale or two.
Admitting that, I also must confess that from time to time I make attempts at being a better person. So far the results have been mixed.
Several years ago I determined to give up gossiping. Now gossip did not make the Bible's top ten list, unless you consider it "false witness" which I think is really lying. However, the New Testament is very sternly opposed to it and for undoubtedly good reasons. So in a moment of self-betterment, I decided to give it up. My vow lasted about a week. A very silent week. I realized that without sharing what I knew or what I'd heard, I suddenly didn't have anything to talk about. A gal has got to have conversation!
My next improvement project was inspired by a Sunday School teacher who urged his class to pray for our enemies. I was momentarily caught up short. I couldn't think of any particular persons at the time that I would consider enemies. I probably could manage a better list now. But after some thought I eventually chose a fellow writer who had dissed me at a conference. I didn't know the woman and what her motivation might have been, I couldn't imagine. But she had angered and embarrassed me in public. And I would have very much enjoyed throttling her. But of course, I didn't. Instead I picked her to be the enemy I prayed for.
I was diligent about it. I kept it up. And I have to admit I had expectations. I thought I would eventually feel forgiving toward her. That I would learn to care about her. And that somehow, some way, that care would translate into some sort of explanation of what happened.
Well, nope on all counts.
I think my mistake was one that I often make. Maybe it's one everybody makes. I feel that when I do something good, something kind, something unselfish that over the course of time I get all that back. We even have a saying for it. "What goes around, comes around." If you're into Eastern religions, it's called karma, I guess. My late husband, Mr. Morsi, would have quoted an Arab proverb about salt on the water. It always comes back to you.
I, however, have decided that is wishful thinking. An act of altruism that maintains a selfish component isn't really altruism. It's just hedging a bet. In order to be truly good, kind, charitable, you simply cannot suppose you will profit from it in any way.
Of course, when you take out the profit motive, the number of participants dwindles significantly.
I was talking with friends the other day about Bill Gates and Warren Buffett and the billionaires trying to give away half of their wealth. I admire them for that. Even if they do have so much money they will never miss it, giving half is very significant and very much needed. And it's even better that they're trying to encourage other billionaires to do the same. Now, it's not lost on anyone that these guys have more money than they could spend in a dozen lifetimes and that they can't take it with them. By giving away their money now, they get to control where it goes. They get to take bows for the good that it does. And they get all the positive tax consequences they are entitled to.
I sure wouldn't want to discourage that.
And the "goes around, comes around" thing can also be good if you're a recipient.
My Uncle Bob has been having some health struggles lately and he's received so much assistance, not just from family, but also from the folks who live nearby. Their caring has been so generous and consistent that it's difficult for him to accept. He gets all teary-eyed about how kind people are to him. I've tried to make it better by pointing out all that he's done for others over his lifetime. He was always there when somebody needed him. The difference now is that he's the one in need. I think that made him feel better. And I don't doubt those neighbors do it with no sense of ever having it reciprocated by anyone. Then again, I'd hope that if they ever need help, someone...maybe someone like me, will be there.
Maybe that's the whole deal about community. The truly selfless are so rare, that they would be completely overwhelmed were it not for us sort-of-self-interested folks.
There's a saying that I can't quite remember something like, "a drowning man doesn't judge the hand that reaches out to him." That's not quite it, but you probably know it better than I do. It's a more sophisticated version of, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth." For those of you not typical horse recipients, translate that to "don't look for faults in something freely offered."
Doing the kind thing, the nice thing, the best thing is such a positive to our families, our communities, our world, that whatever our motives might be pales in significance
.
Oh, and that author that dissed me? She became so fabulously successful that she's practically a household name. I take some credit for that. I'm sure my prayers helped.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn Brant said...

Pamela, I saw your message that you'd written a new blog post on the WF loop and, selfishly, can I say I wish you'd post more often? ;)

I think you've spoken for many of us. We wanna be good. We make periodic attempts (with mixed results--LOL). We have expectations that those attempts will net a greater sense of Zen/peace/whatever. But I can't help but think other people have to recognize that we're trying, even if we're imperfect and not totally selfless... In my little world, anyway, the effort counts for something. So, FWIW (which, admittedly is not overly much), you definitely get brownie points from me ;).

October 18, 2010 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Liz Flaherty said...

Brownie points from me, too, and I'm right there with you on gossip, too.

I like the "doing good," I like helping (because I've been more fortunate than I deserve), but I'm trying to get over the wanting to be thanked part of it.

Anyway--why do I always have to make things about me?--I enjoyed the blog!

October 26, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home