My Photo
Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Friday, October 3, 2008

Didn't she say she was blogging and she couldn't shut up?

Wait a minute, you’re saying to yourself. Didn’t she say she was blogging and she couldn’t shut up?
Yes, it has been almost a month since I’ve posted anything. Did ya miss me? Okay, don’t answer that. I’m sure most of you didn’t notice.
The truth is, I haven’t been avoiding the computer, I’ve been finishing up my next novel. I guess we’d call that my "day job". Anyway, I sent it off to my editor at 11 p.m. last night and now I am in that perfect state of bliss between when I write THE END and the initial reaction of my first audience, my editor.
Without sort of sucking up, I’d like to say that my editor is a pretty cool gal. She’s smart and sassy and old enough, as we say in the country, "to know come here from sic ‘em". But being an editor is not an easy job. Because...they have to deal with authors.
Being an author is a really cool job. That’s what I say to high school kids on career day. And I believe that. Unfortunately it puts me in the mind of that Bible verse that says, "I believe Lord, help my unbelief!" It is a cool job, but most of the time it feels very ordinary. I sit alone in my office for hours on end. I work on something that I really can’t discuss with anyone else. Some authors have writer friends or brain storm with readers or editors. I can’t do that. If I talk about a work in progress and an offhand comment is made, it can really throw me off. My confidence in my own talent is not very strong. I continue to think, even after twenty years of proving otherwise, that my career is a total fluke and that somebody is finally going to read my next book and say so. Self doubt is a problem for a lot of writers. Frequently we are introverted folks and the outside world can be harsh. Writing, especially fiction which portrays so much of our inner being, exposes us in very scary ways.
But scary can be good, right?
Truthfully, I’ve never been a big fan of the scary. I don’t like heights, fast driving, haunted houses or horror novels.
I’m also not eager to get out of my comfort zone.
Now, avoiding ledges and parachutes, race cars and things that go bump in the night does not, I don’t believe, impact my life negatively in any way. No, I can never reference any well-known lines from Silence of the Lambs, but I rarely need to.
However, keeping myself in the cocoon of my knotty pine office walls, snug in my little bungalow, that is not a good thing.
In order to write about the world, I need to be out in it. I’m gearing up for some exciting, out of my comfort zone adventures. I’ll keep you posted.
BTW, the just finished book is called RED’S HOT HONKY-TONK BAR and it’s currently scheduled for release in July 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home